top of page

Welcome to the Ypres Salient
This site presents the story of the First World War in the West Flanders region. The various categories provide a wealth of information about a range of subjects.
The Roll of Honour category is where you will find the details of all the men from Falkirk District who are buried or commemorated in the Immortal Salient.
Sharing history Sharing knowledge Learn more
Search


Zonnebeke Church Dugout
On 31 July to 10 November 2017, the dugout below Zonnebeke Church was opened to the public. Visitors were given a pre-booked time slot and then twenty minutes underground. The Memorial Museum Passchendaele had facilitated this event as part of the centenary commemorations. The gallery had been drained of water and pumps were in place to keep the water at bay and the gallery dry. The dugout was begun on 20th January 1918 by the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company, and handed ove
Mar 12, 20232 min read


Hallebast Tank Bridge
Hallebast Tank Bridge is constructed from concrete blocks and beams, used in the construction of British pill boxes and bunkers. The parapet walls of the bridge are constructed from concrete blocks made at the British Second Army factory at Arques. The bridge is possibly the only remaining type of its kind and today carries the road over the Kemmelbeek that links Hallebast and Vierstraat. It was the 245th Army Troops Company, R.E. who began the work
Mar 10, 20231 min read


American: Assam Farm
Assam Farm shelter was constructed in August 1918 by the 105th Regiment of Engineers, US 30th Division, taking over the construction started by 222nd Field Company, Royal Engineers. The shelter was part of the Dickebusch Line and the Americans named this defensive position Fort Baird, after Brigadier-General Baird who was in command of 100 Brigade, 33rd Division and it was his Brigade that had trained the US troops of the 119th and 120th (2nd & 3rd North Carolina Infantry)
Feb 27, 20231 min read


British: Rue de Romarin, Ploegsteert
This British concrete shelter is located to the west of Ploegsteert, on the right hand side of the road on the way out of the town, on the Rue de Romarin. A typical British style of concrete over elephant iron lining and has a door at each end and these entrances had additional side walls for protection however, these have been knocked over.
Feb 27, 20231 min read


New Zealand: Polygon Wood
Polygon Wood shelters Built by the 4th Field Company New Zealand Engineers the shelters could accommodate up to four men each. They are simple shelters in the typical British style with several feet of concrete poured over an elephant-iron lining. Both date from December 1917 or the beginning of January 1918 and form part of the defensive system built to reinforce Polygon Wood. There was an outpost line, front and support lines comprising bunkers, wire belts and trenches runn
Feb 25, 20231 min read


British: Boezinge Canal Bank, Bard Cottage
Located directly opposite the CWGC Bard Cottage Cemetery, this British bunker was tunnelled into the spoil from the canal cutting. The canal embankment now covers the bunker however, the edge of the bunker is visible. The 208th (Norfolk) Field Company, Royal Engineers, 34th Division had their HQ here in October 1917, they were maintaining the bridges over the canal as well as the trackways to the front line.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: Boezinge Canal Bank
This bunker can be found to the south west Boezinge along the canal path named Westkaaipad and past the lock which did not exist during...
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: View Farm, Buffs Road
Buffs Road is named after the 1st Battalion, the Buffs, East Kent Regiment and appears on British trench maps. Today, it is named Hogeziekemweg. In the field next to the roadside shrine you can view the roof of a larger underground structure that was once part of Hill Top Camp. The camp had been established here after the front line had moved forward in 1917 and was later enlarged in 1918.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: St Jan
This British shelter is located behind houses, which are directly opposite the CWGC White House Farm Cemetery, and a farm on the south side of the Brugseweg. Built as a shell proof accommodation shelter using corrugated iron sheets, the single interior chamber was formed over elephant iron and there is a ventilation hole for the stove. There is no embrasure for a machine gun nor is there an exterior mounting for a machine gun on the roof.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: Hiele Farm
The British concrete dugout at Hiele Farm is situated near to the farm, on the road from St Eloi to Oostaverne. The Damm Strasse, which was a cutting that formed the entrance to the White Chateau, ran along behind the dugout. This was also a major German defensive position. The shelter was used as an infantry battalion headquarters, a command post for an artillery battery, the 3rd Australian Field Battery Brigade used the shelter and had their gun pits nearby.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: Scott Farm
This is a British concrete dugout and is located on the Wulvergemstraat, formerly the Wytschaete to Kruisstraat road, and the nearby farm of the same name. It is built into the shelter of the hill however; it shows signs of artillery strikes from both German and British guns. The bunker was occupied by the Germans following their spring offensive in April 1918. It was a headquarters for the 14th Australian Infantry Brigade as well as the 54th and 55th Australian Battalions.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: Kemmel Shelters, Locre
The two British concrete shelters, made using sandbag framework, and one also has the remnants of the wooden lining that formed the interior framework for the concrete, are on Lokerstraat, on today’s maps, and Gordon Road, on the British trench maps and are marked on these trench maps as ‘Kemmel Shelters’.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: Communication Shelter, Messines Ridge
Located close to the ‘Irish Peace Memorial’ on the south side of Messines Ridge is a British concrete communications bunker. This bunker connected the Brigade and Divisional headquarters on the eastern side of the Messines Ridge. It was started by New Zealand engineers and completed by the 4th Australian Pioneer Company in March 1918. The 5th Australian Signals Company used the bunker before it was handed over to the British 19th Division.
Feb 24, 20231 min read


British: Menin Road South
This masonry-clad British concrete bunker is located outside the Menin Road South Cemetery, CWGC, perimeter wall and in the grounds of a private house. It was built as a shelter for the RAMC troops who were part of the Field Ambulance located here.
Feb 22, 20231 min read


British: Red Tiled House
This British shelter is located on the Ypres (Ieper) to Potijze Road and approximately halfway down the cul-de-sac Zonnebeekseweg are the remnants of a concrete shelter. Located opposite was Red Tiled House and built into this was an observation post known as RAOP No.11 and built by the engineers of the Royal Monmouthshire Regiment in 1916. It was demolished in the 1970’s and was replaced by the modern house you see today.
Feb 22, 20231 min read


British: Hussar Farm
This British observation post is located on what was known to the British as Cavalry Road and today is Kruiskalssidjestraat. It is a tall, well-constructed reinforced concrete building that can be found amongst other farm buildings. The brick work masonry of the original farm building is still visible, the farm was shown on trench maps as Hussar Farm and the Observation Post shows signs of being struck by German shells.
Feb 22, 20231 min read


British: Swan Chateau Wood
This British bunker is situated in what is today the Tortelbos Park (Swan Chateau on British trench maps) off the Pannenhuisstraat road. It can be found near a track that runs through the park. This bunker is the remnants of a machine gun post and it shows signs of damage from artillery fire. It appears on the weekly work sheet map of 222 Field Company, Royal Engineers from June 1918 and probably dates from early 1918 when work was done to strengthen the defences
Feb 22, 20231 min read


British: Anzac Camp
Located in a field at the junction of Pannenhuisstraat and Ruusschaartstraat is the site of the former Anzac Camp of which there are the two bunkers. The maps of 1918 show there to be five huts or shelters in a row. In June and July1918 the 222nd (Tottenham) Field Engineers built bomb proof shelters in this area for the 156 Brigade Royal Artillery, 33rd Division.
Feb 22, 20231 min read


British: Voormezeele, Wittenhuisstraat
This British bunker is on the frontline as it was in April 1918 and the Germans had taken the bunker and set up a machine gun position here. It was retaken by the US 119 Infantry Regiment on 31 August 1918.
Feb 22, 20231 min read


British: Voormezeele, Abdijmolenstraat
There were originally seven shelters in a row in the field. The remaining bunker is of a similar construction with an Elephant iron lining with concrete on top. The entrance leads into a large inner chamber that goes into the embankment. It would not have withstood a direct hit as it is not particularly strongly built.
Feb 22, 20231 min read

01:18

06:47

06:59

15:41

41:28

32:27

37:27

51:26

02:10
bottom of page


