top of page
  • Admin

British: Hiele Farm

Updated: Apr 1, 2023

The concrete dugout is situated near to the farm, on the road from St Eloi to Oostaverne.

Authors image

Linesman Map

It formed part of the northern defences of Messines ridge and was built towards the end of 1917. It is constructed of concrete poured over elephant iron and the rear wall is strengthened by concrete blocks.

Authors image

The shelter was used as an infantry battalion headquarters, a command post for an artillery battery, the 3rd Australian Field Battery Brigade used the shelter and had their gun pits nearby. It was also used by the 9th (Scottish) Division when holding the line against the German spring offensive in April 1918, until they were forced to retire as a result of a German break through on their southern flank.

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page