top of page
  • Admin

DICKEBUSCH NEW MILITARY CEMETERY


The New Military Cemetery was begun in February 1915 (in succession to the Old Military Cemetery near the Church) and was used until May 1917 by neighbouring fighting units and field ambulances. The 31st (Alberta) Canadian Infantry Battalion erected a memorial in it to 22 of their numbers who fell in April 1916. A few further burials took place in March and April 1918. The Extension was used from May 1917 to January 1918.


The site was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.


Cemetery Location

From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375), is reached via Elverdingsestraat, straight over a roundabout onto J. Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along M. Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. On reaching the village of Dikkebus, the cemetery is located on the Kerkstraat, which is a small street turning left off the Dikkebusseweg. 200 metres along this street, and just beyond the village church, lies the cemetery.



Shot at Dawn


8992 L/Cpl Joseph Stanley Victor Fox, Age 20, Grave D.15 Son of Charles and Harriet Fox, of 45 The Causeway, Chippenham, Wilts. He was attached to the Cyclists Company, 1st Battalion Wiltshires, 7th Brigade, 3rd Division. Executed on 20 April 1915, for desertion.


Epitaph - IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEARLY BELOVED SON GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN


6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Commentaires


Les commentaires ont été désactivés.
bottom of page