top of page
  • Admin

British: Palingbeek (small shelter on Golf Course)

Updated: Apr 1, 2023


Authors image

This is located in the private grounds of the Palingbeek golf course however, it is visible from the Palingbeekstraat road that bisects the golf course.

Linesman map showing the location of the shelter

Authors image

This is an observation post and is constructed using German concrete blocks that were produced at the Wervik factory and probably already as part of the original German trench mortar position. The British had named the German trench mortar positions that ran along the Palingbeekstraate Arthur, Archie, Austin and Angus. It was the Australian 2nd Field Company who built the shelter. During the German spring offensive in April 1918, the 11th Battalion, Royal Scots held the White Chateau and this shelter against German attacks.

Authors image

16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page