top of page
Frequently asked questions
Research and Resources
Historical Context
Educational Content
Cemeteries and Memorials
We provide detailed records, personal biographies, and cemetery information for soldiers from Falkirk District who served in the Ypres Salient during WWI. Explore our Roll of Honour and other dedicated sections for comprehensive insights.

Welcome to the Ypres Salient
This site presents the story of the First World War in the West Flanders region. The various categories provide a wealth of information about a range of subjects.
The Roll of Honour category is where you will find the details of all the men from Falkirk District who are buried or commemorated in the Immortal Salient.
Sharing history Sharing knowledge Learn more
Search


Derry House Cemetery No.2
Wytschaete (now Wijtschate) was taken by the Germans early in November 1914. It was recovered by Commonwealth forces during the Battle of...
Mar 19, 20212 min read


Cement House Cemetery
Langemark has given its name to the Battles of 21-24 October 1914 and 16-18 August 1917. The village was in German hands from April 1915...
Mar 16, 20213 min read


Chester Farm Cemetery
Chester Farm Cemetery, CWGC, Ypres, was the name given to a farm, probably by the Cheshire Regiment, about 1 Km South of Blauwepoort Farm, on the road from Zillebeke to Voormezeele. The cemetery was begun on 15 March 1915 when two men from the Norfolk Regiment were buried here both killed on the same day and are buried in Plot II AA1 and AA1A, and was used by front line troops until November 1917. Plot I contains the graves of ninety-two officers and men of the 2nd Manchester
Mar 15, 202112 min read


Canada Farm Cemetery
Canada Farm Cemetery took its name from a farmhouse used as a dressing station during the 1917 Allied offensive on this front. Most of the burials are of men who died at the dressing station between June and October 1917. A small number of graves were added after the Armistice.
Mar 15, 20212 min read


Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No.3
Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No.3 was opened and was in use until May 1918. As the Brandhoek New Military Cemetery became full Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No.3 was used by the various Casualty Clearing Stations in the area. There were many gun positions located around Brandhoek and many of the graves (286) in this cemetery are those of artillerymen. The gates of the cemetery were presented by Mr George and Edith Strutt in memory of their son, Lieutenant Anthony Harold
Mar 15, 202111 min read


Brandhoek New Military Cemetery
As the Brandhoek Military Cemetery had become full this cemetery was begun in anticipation of high casualties from Third Ypres. It was used by the 32nd, 44th and 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Stations. This cemetery remained open until late August 1917 when it to became full.
A CCS could be found anywhere from 8 to 15 miles from the front line. Brandhoek CCS, which had opened in mid-1915, was located less than 10,000 yards from the front line. In July 1917, it had beco
Mar 15, 20216 min read


Brandhoek Military Cemetery
This is one of three cemeteries in the hamlet of Brandhoek. This cemetery was begun in May 1915 and used until July 1917 when it became full. The hamlet of Brandhoek was considered to be in a safe area behind the lines and out of range of German artillery. It was a centre for supply camps, hospitals and the three cemeteries located in the hamlet.
Mar 14, 20216 min read


Bleuet Farm Cemetery
Bleuet Farm Cemetery. Authors image
The cemetery was begun in readiness for the British offensives in the Salient in 1917. It was located next to a Dressing Station and was in use from June 1917 to December 1917. Of the graves, 148 are men from the Guards or the Guards Machine Gun Regiments. Two graves were added after the Armistice and the French graves were removed. There are nine World War Two graves. Elverdinge village was a major centre for British railways, hosp
Mar 14, 20211 min read


Birr Crossroads Cemetery
The cemetery was in the frontline next to a Dressing Station and was begun in August 1917 and in use until the Germans took this area during their 1918 Spring offensive. It was used as a concentration cemetery after the Armistice with 650 graves concentrated here.
Mar 11, 20214 min read


Ploegsteert Memorial to the Missing
The Ploegsteert Memorial, CWGC, to the Missing dominates the cemetery. It was unveiled on 7 June 1931 by the Duke of Brabant and was designed by H Charlton Bradshaw and sculpted by Sir Gilbert Ledward. There are 11,447 names of the missing listed on the wall panels, most are from the fighting that took place outside the Ypres Salient, the Battle of Armentieres in 1914, Aubers Ridge, Loos, and Fromelles in 1915, Estaires in 1916, and Hazebrouck, Scherpenberg and Outersteene R
Mar 10, 20215 min read


Berks Cemetery Extension
Berks Cemetery Extension, CWGC, Ploegsteert, faces Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery which is on the opposite side of the road. The Berks Cemetery Extension was begun in June 1916 and used continuously until September 1917. At the Armistice, the extension comprised Plot I only, but Plots II and III were added in 1930 when graves were brought in from Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery and Extension, about 1 kilometre to the north-west, when it was established that these
Mar 9, 202112 min read


Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery
Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery, CWGC. The name is believed to originate after the Belgian Battery 1st Groupe Regiment d’Artillerie Provisoire, 97, 98 and 99 Batteries positioned here in 1915. There are the graves of 206 men from artillery units which operated in this area. This CWGC cemetery was established by the 8th Division during the Battle of Messines in June 1917 and was used, mainly for burials from the nearby Dressing Station until October 1918.
Mar 8, 202110 min read


Bedford House Cemetery
The Chateau Rosendale stood on the site of the cemetery. It was a country house in a wooded, moated park. The house and wood have gone but the moat and some ruins remain. The chateau was taken over by the British early in the war and was used as a brigade headquarters with Field Ambulances and Advanced Dressing Stations located in the cellars. It was called Woodcote House on British maps. By the end of the war there were five enclosures.
Mar 8, 20216 min read


Bard Cottage Cemetery
The Bard Cottage Cemetery, CWGC, got its name from a cottage that stood on the other side of the road and was close to a bridge over the canal, Bard’s Causeway, now gone. Both the cottage and the cemetery were protected by a high bank, still visible today. The cemetery was begun in June 1915 and used until October 1918. Many of the graves here are from the 49th (West Riding) Division and the 38th (Welsh) Division, both of whom were involved in the trench raids in on 27 July 1
Mar 8, 20213 min read


Aeroplane Cemetery
Aeroplane Cemetery, CWGC, this site was in no man’s land until 31 July 1917. During the first day of Third Battle of Ypres, the 15th (Scottish) and the 55th (West Lancashire) Divisions captured Verlorenhoek and Frezenberg. The cemetery was begun by the 15th (Scottish) and 16th (Irish) Divisions on 1 August as the New Cemetery, Frezenberg. It was renamed Aeroplane Cemetery on account of a wreck of a British aeroplane being near the site of the Cross of Sacrifice that we see to
Mar 8, 20218 min read


Recording the Dead. How it Began. Recovering, Identifying and Burying the Dead
The problem of recovering, identifying and burying the dead was apparent from the beginning of the war. As the fighting went back and forth the dead often lay around and many could not be recovered with many more buried only for their grave to be churned over by the artillery fire their bodies to join the thousands of the missing. Graves and cemeteries sprang up in a random fashion and the recording of the dead by the various units was on an ad hoc basis. Fabian Ware
Mar 3, 202112 min read

01:18

06:47

06:59

15:41

41:28

32:27

37:27

51:26

02:10
bottom of page
