top of page
  • Admin

Bard Cottage

Updated: Aug 15, 2022


The cemetery was begun in June 1915 and used until October 1918. Many of the graves here are from the 49th (West Riding) Division and the 38th (Welsh) Division, both of whom were involved in Third Ypres and located nearby. The artillery is also represented as they had moved into this area during Third Ypres as the front moved forward.


The cemetery got its name from a cottage that stood on the other side of the road and was close to a bridge over the canal, Bard’s Causeway, now gone. Both the cottage and the cemetery were protected by a high bank, still visible today.

Cemeteries concentrated here were:

Marengo Farm, originally named by the French who were located in this area, was the cemetery from where most of the graves in Bard Cottage were concentrated. This was used between June 1915 to August 1916.


Cemetery location

The cemetery is located 2km north of Ypres on the west side of the Boezinge to Ypres Road.

Talbot House connection

Captain Thomas David, 4th Battalion, Welch Regiment, 27 July 1917, Grave III.G.31. He celebrated Easter at TOC-H.


FALKIRK DISTRICT MEN BURIED HERE


Falkirk Town

3/9663 Pte Samuel McCurdy

2nd Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Age

11.8.17

IV.A.34


Carron & Carronshore (Bothkennar)

276360 Pte Edward Easton

1/7 Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Age 20

3.9.17

IV.E.30


Laurieston

322475 Acting Bombardier Alex Johnston

261st Btty, Royal Garrison Artillery

Age 36

17.8.1917

IV.D.27


Links to the area

2nd Lt Gordon Mitchel

96th Field Company, Royal Engineers

Age 22

17.8.17

IV.B.41

Native of Bonnybridge


Burials:

UK – 1615

Canada – 9

Newfoundland – 6

South African – 2

British West Indian Regiment – 3

German – 4


There are Special Memorials to three soldiers Believed To Be/Known to Be buried in the cemetery in unnamed graves.


18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page