top of page

Watou Churchyard

  • Admin
  • 20 hours ago
  • 12 min read

Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Watou Churchyard. Authors image

Watou Churchyard was used at intervals from April 1915 to April 1918. The village was well behind the front lines and much of the 18th and 19th century buildings are intact. The village was used for billeting troops as well as the many camps and dumps that surrounded the village. The troops were entertained with theatrical shows and other entertainment. Today, every July the Watou arts festival takes place. The region around Watou was termed by the local population as de Vrije Vaderland (Free Fatherland) which allowed the civilian population to move around and agricultural work to continue under Allied control. The current church is 16th Century Gothic that replaced the original 12th century Romanesque church with the brick section of the nave and the lower part of the tower the remnants of the original 12th century church.


Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Watou shown on 1918 Trench Map
Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Sgt Albert John Clayton. Authors image

Royal Flying Corps

5781 Serjeant Albert John Clayton, 20th Squadron and 1st Battalion King’s Royal Rifle Corps. Killed in action 26 April 1917, age 33. Grave 3. He was the oldest of two sons and a daughter of William and Harriet Clayton, of "Woodrow Lodge," Redditch Road, Studley, Warwickshire. He was married to Ellen on 25 December 1911 and she died on 27 March 1915 from tuberculosis. He was working as a Labourer when enlisted in January 1904 age 21 in the King’s Rifle Corps on a Short Service. This meant serving three years with the Colours and nine years in the Reserve. The 1911 census lists him as working as a Cycle Worker. On the declaration of war he rejoined his Regiment and was posted on 3 December 1914 on Home service and went to France on 11 March 1915 and was promoted to Sergeant on 2 December 1915. He was wounded, gunshot wound to the hand on 29 July 1916. He was due for discharge but was retained in the service under the Military Service Act on 5 January 1917 and joined the RFC on 24 March as an Aerial Gunner with the rank of 2nd Class Air Mechanic and died of wounds, gunshot wound to the thorax, on 26 April 1917. He was flying in an FE2d (A6393) piloted by Lieutenant  F D Stevens in a combat patrol. April 1917 became known as Bloody April with the RFC losing 245 aircraft and 211 aircrew killed or missing. The FE2d was a two seater fighter-reconnaissance aircraft and replaced the FE2b in 20th Squadron in June 1916 and this was replaced in September 1917 by the Bristol fighter. The Squadron was part of the RFC 2nd Brigade working with 2nd Army in the Ypres sector and its tasks included offensive patrols, photography, reconnaissance, and bombing by day and night. One of the combat victories of 20th Squadron that was most notable was that accredited to Second Lieutenant Woodbridge on 6 July 1917, who was the first British airman to wound Manfred von Richthofen when a 20 Squadron patrol was attacked by Richtofen Jagdgeschwader 1. Albert’s younger brother Arthur was to be killed in action on 24 August 1916 and is listed on the Thiepval Memorial.

 

Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
L/Cpl William Paramore. Authors image

Canadian

27111 L/Cpl William Paramore, 15th Battalion (48th Highlanders of Canada), 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division. Killed in action 26 April 1915, age 29. Grave 6. Son of Clara Paramore, 14 Florence Park, Redland, Bristol, and the late W. Paramore. William gave his trade as electrician when he enlisted on 18 September 1914. The Battalion sailed for England on 3 October 1914 and arrived in England on 18 October and went into training. While at North Larkhill Camp, Salisbury the Battalion was reviewed by King George V on 4 February and the Battalion went to France on 11 February 1915 and arrived in St Nazaire on 15 February. They then underwent trench training and familiarisation in the Armentieres sector on 23 February before taking over a section of the line. In early April they were in billets in Ryveld before moving to Watou on 15 April. On the 16 April they marched to Abeele and then took motor buses and proceeded to the northern outskirts of Poperinghe and then marched to billets in Ypres. They were issued with orders regarding enemy aircraft and about not congregating in the street. The Germans shelled Ypres on 18 and 19 April with shells landing close to the Battalion billets and on the 20 April Captain Trumbull Warren was killed in the main square in Ypres opposite the Cloth Hall. At 8pm that evening they went into the line at Keerselare north of St Julien and relieving the 16th Battalion. The 24 April 1915 found the 15th Battalion in the line at Locality C in the apex of Ypres Salient. On the 24 April the Germans planned a two staged operation, one on each side of the Salient with the first being a

Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Q48951 the 2nd Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (19th Brigade, 6th Division) in the Bois Grenier sector of the front wearing cotton-waste pad-respirators, 1915

converging attack against the apex with the object of this attack to smash the Canadians and capture St Julien and penetrate into the heart of the Salient so, forcing the British to abandon Ypres. At 4am the Germans released chlorine gas and this was accompanied by T-STOFF, tear gas, shells to thicken the gas cloud and increase the effect. At the apex men of the 15th Battalion noticed a number of Germans climb out of their trench and they were wearing helmets that looked like a divers head gear, and this was accompanied by a hissing sound and a greenish-yellow cloud which began to flow covering an area of the front of some 1200 yards. The gas cloud was moving on the dawn breeze and was aimed at the junction of the Canadian 15th and 8th Battalions and was estimated at 15 feet high and came on quickly across No Man’s Land. The 8th Battalion called for artillery support however, the 15th Battalion could not call on artillery support as the artillery of the 3rd Field Artillery, attached to 3rd Brigade, had been moved to cover a hole in the line from earlier fighting. Lieutenant Herbert Maxwell-Scott, a descendant of Sir Walter Scott, recalled ‘Captain McLaren gave an order to get handkerchiefs, soak them, and tie around our mouths and noses… Even with these precautions it was hopeless to try and stand up against the stuff.’ The Canadians hoped to hold on for as long as they could with many expecting to die and to take as many Germans with them as they could. The cloud enveloped all of 15th Battalions right company and nearly all of the centre company. Coughing and chocking and holding wet handkerchiefs or cotton bandoliers to their faces many of the men were blinded and overcome by the gas and fell to the bottom of the trenches and gasping for air they died a dreadful, agonising death. For ten minutes the right and centre companies endured the chlorine gas and heavy shelling and their task of trying to keep the choking gas out of their lungs and stop the advancing German infantry proved impossible. Learn more about Gas and Chemical Warfare Learn more about Gas and Chemical Warfare He died of asphyxiation during gas attack. John may also have known Private John Marshall who emigrated from Stenhousemuir, Falkirk District and served with the Battalion dying in the same action of asphyxiation.

 

Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
IWM Q 7064 A convoy of British Maudslay 3-ton lorries parked up alongside the wreckage of German motor transport

Artillery

44966 Gunner George Marriage, 20th Ammunition Sub Park, 117th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, Killed in action 23 May 1916, age 31. Grave 11. Son of Charles William and Fanny Marriage, 14 Rock Place, Godalming. 20th Ammunition Sub Park was an Army Service Corps unit run by the 268th Company that supported the British 20th (Light) Division and were in the Watou at Battye Farm. Ammunition Sub Parks were Mechanical Transport units of the ASC (with some gunners attached for care of ammunition) which collected ammunition from either railheads or depots/dumps and took it as far forward as the roads permitted before handing it over to the horse-drawn Divisional Ammunition Columns. They corresponded to the Supply Columns for supplies other than ammunition, which handed material over to Divisional Trains. Originally they were Line of Communication units provided on a scale of one per division. In 1916 they became Corps units, being re-structured as a Corps Ammunition Park (HQ and Corps Troops) and a sub-park for each Division in the Corps. The sub-parks corresponded to the former Lines of Communication parks. Supply Columns had a similar re-structuring. In 1918 the Divisional Supply Columns and Divisional Ammunition (sub) parks were amalgamated as Divisional Mechanical Transport Companies, but were still Corps troops. The Ammunition Sub Park was equipped with Maudsley 3-ton lorries with the capacity to transport 280 rounds of 13-pounder ammunition, 3,600 rounds of 18-pounder ammunition, and 480 rounds of 4.5-inch howitzer ammunition. They could also transport 960,000 rounds of small arms ammunition. The War Diary for the period 1915 to July 1916 is missing. George was wounded and he subsequently died of his wounds. Private William Paterson, Falkirk District man, was a driver with 39th Division, Ammunition Sub Park. He died in an act of heroism read more

 

61068 Gunner Arthur Sydney Mayes, 131st Heavy Battery, 2/1 North Midland Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, Killed in action 25 July 1917, age 22. Grave 2. Son of James and Lydia Mayes, of Sudborough, Thrapston, Northants. The Battery was raised in Lewisham on 22 January 1915, initially as divisional artillery for the 26th Division. The unit went to France on 8 March 8 1916 joining the 23rd Heavy Artillery Brigade and was initially equipped with four 60-pounder guns, later increased to a six-gun battery in August 1916 when joined by a section from the 161st Heavy Battery. On the 25 July 1917 the Battery was north east of Vlamertinghe and was firing on Poelcappelle as part of the artillery barrage prior to the opening attack of the Third Battle of Ypres on 31 July. The Germans replied with counter battery fire that killed four men and wounded two.

 

Second Lieutenant Robert Edgar Paul Priest, 276th (3rd West Lancashire) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, 55th Division. Killed in action 15 August 1917, age 22. Grave 1. One of three sons and two daughters of Arthur and Maria Alma Priest, 25 Colonial Street, Hull. The 1911 census records him as working as a Clerk. He originally enlisted as a Bombardier and went to France on 23 April 1915 he applied for a commission and was gazetted Second Lieutenant and joined the 276th Brigade. The Brigade was providing fire support and like other artillery units endured relentless counter-battery fire resulting in casualties.


Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Gunner Arthur Mayes and Second Lieutenant Robert Priest. Authors image

Infantry

Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Private William John Brown

24314 Private William John Brown, 10th (Service) Battalion Durham Light Infantry, 43rd Infantry Brigade, 14th Division. Killed in action 24 August 1915, age 32. Grave 10. Son of William and the late Elizabeth Alice Brown, 47 Wolseley Street, Teams, Gateshead. He was married to Emmaline and they had two daughters, one a step child. William was employed as a Miner when he enlisted on 9 August 1914 and went to France in May 1915. His brother Edward was also serving. The Guardian of Emmaline was Mrs Christine Smith, William’s sister, who was staying at Williams parents house. The pension for Emmaline had been transferred to her. Following a report into the conduct of Emmaline Snr, report of 11 January 1917, it was decided not to stop her pension but to keep her conduct under review. Learn more about war widows and their pension

The Battalion marched to billets in a camp at Watou on 21 August 1915 and were there until 29 August. William died from a spam of the glottis medically known as a laryngospasm, and is a sudden, involuntary tightening of the vocal cords and you can’t breathe or speak.  


Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Recommendation on Emmaline's Pension

 R/11486 Rifleman Charles Alfred Watkins, ‘B’ Company 8th Battalion King’s Royal Rifle Corps, 41st Infantry Brigade, 14th Division. Died 24 August 1915, age 34. Grave 8. He married Kathleen Marrian, in 1911, and they had a son. He listed his trade as Independent when he enlisted on 31 March 1915 and joined the 15th Battalion. He gave his sister Ada R. Camies, 1 Cashiobury Terrace, Southend-on-Sea as his next of kin as he and his wife were separated. The pension awarded on his death was for the child only. Charles went to France on 13 August 1915 and joined the 8th Battalion. The Battalion had been relieved in the line at Chateau Wood on the night of 23/24 August. At 2am on 24 August while they were unloading their rifles Charles was accidentally shot by Rifleman Williams and died of his wounds. Epitaph: IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY BELOVED BROTHER KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE


Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Private Adam Crow. Authors image

44001 Private Adam Crow, 6th Battalion King’s Own Scottish Borderers, 27th Infantry Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division. Died 27 April 1918, age 41. Grave 4. Adam was born in Duns, Berwickshire and moved to Glasgow where he lived with his brother George E. Crow, 100 Durvard Avenue, Shawlands, Glasgow. He was an Artist and unmarried when he enlisted in the Highland Light Infantry and went to France on 23 November 1915 and he was transferred to the 6th Battalion King’s Own Scottish Borderers. The Battalion was in Brigade reserve on the Vierstraat Line when the Germans attacked on 24 April. The Headquarters Company and ‘B’ and C’ companies were surrounded and cut off and ‘A’ and ‘C’ Companies took up positions on the Cheapside Line. On the 25 April they were relieved and moved to Ouderdom and on the 27 April to Watou. It is likely that Adam died of his wounds and was buried at Watou Churchyard. Epitaph: PART OF A FOREIGN FIELD THAT IS FOR EVER SCOTLAND IN GOD OUR HOPE


12402 Private Philip Dougherty, 11th Battalion Pioneers The King’s (Liverpool Regiment), 14th Division. Killed in action 15 November 1915, age 38. Grave 9. Son of Robert and Jane Dougherty, of the Isle of Man. This was a Pioneer Battalion created as an expedient in 1914, and were a new concept in the British Army. Intended to provide the Royal Engineers with skilled labour and to relieve the infantry from some of its non-combatant duties. The Pioneers became the work horses of the BEF. He was married to Mary Hannah O'Neill (formerly Dougherty), 19 New Park Terrace, Treforest, Pontypridd. They had five children. She remarried on 23 December 1915 and her new husband was a fireman in the Merchant Marine. On the 15 November 1915 the Battalion was in billets at Watou and were undertaking drills, leisure activities including football and route marches. He was accidentally killed by a bomb (grenade) during a training course. Epitaph: IN LOVING MEMORY FROM WIFE & CHILDREN R.I.P.

It is clear that casualties as a result of combat were likely to be fatal, however, simply being in the army and surrounded by lethal weapons, was a dangerous place to be and this was before facing the enemy was taken into consideration. Accidents and disease were an ever-present hazard and the average wastage was fifty-eight men per day with casualties resulting from accidents in training, both at home and overseas, from such causes as falling from horses, bayonet exercises to being run over by wagons and motor vehicles. Live ammunition training was another cause with faulty handling of hand grenades being one of the causes of death and injury. Learn more about death and all its forms

 

7080 Private Michael Flynn, 2nd Battalion Irish Guards, 2nd Guards Brigade, Guards Division. Died of wounds 2 March 1916, Grave 12. Son of Margaret Flynn, 19 Patneys Lane, Cork, Ireland. On the afternoon of the 2 March twelve officers and 12 NCO attended a three hour course in riveting. During a practice with live grenades one burst prematurely wounding one officer in the hand and four Other Ranks, one of them, Michael, dying within two hours.

 

S/8495 Rifleman William John Harvey, 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade, 41st Infantry Brigade, 14th Division. Killed in action 12 September 1915, age 25. Grave 7. Son of George and Martha Harvey, of Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea. On the 12 September the Battalion were in billets at Watou with the War Diary recording: ‘Weather still fine. 1 O.R. died of natural causes. Buried at Watou.’ On the 9 September the War Diary highlighted deficiencies in the men following an inspection: ‘A careful inspection of the Battalion resulted as follows:- 35 obviously unfit on medical grounds, 10 others under 18 years of age, 15 found to be suffering from nervous breakdown & recommended for a month’s rest.

Watou Churchyard, CWGC, Ypres, Ieper, Flanders
Private William O'Doherty. Authors image

3/6019 Private William O’Doherty, 1st Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, 47th Infantry Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division. Killed in action 13 January 1917, Grave 5. He was married to Mary and they lived with their four children at 5 St Francis Abbey, Limerick, Ireland. The Battalion was relieved in the trenches at Spanbroekmolen by the 7th Battalion Leinster Regiment and they went into billets at Derry Huts. He died of shock from accidental poisoning.

 

Location

Watou Churchyard is located 19 Km west of Ieper town centre on the Watouseweg, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the J.Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J.Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching Poperinge the N308 meets the left hand turning onto the Poperinge ring road, R33.The R33 rejoins the N308 on the west side of Poperinge where it continues for 1 Km to the junction with the Watouseweg. 8 Km along the Watouseweg lies the village of Watou. The churchyard is located centrally in the village on the Watouplein.

 

Burials

Watou Churchyard contains 12 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.


UK – 11

Canadian - 1

Comments


Commenting on this post isn't available anymore. Contact the site owner for more info.

©2021 by The Ypres Salient. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page