Voormezeele Churchyard
- Admin
- 3 hours ago
- 2 min read

Voormezeele Churchyard contains one British burial from 1914. The Voormezeele Churchyard is one of three Cemeteries in the village the other two being the nearby Voormezeele Enclosures No.1 & No.2 (at one time, there were a total of four, but now reduced to three) and Voormezeele Enclosure No.3 Cemetery, the largest of these burial grounds. The village and the cemeteries were captured by the Germans after very heavy fighting on 29 April 1918.
There are two British bunkers located at Voormezeele. The first is on Wittenhuisstraat and is a frontline bunker of April 1918. It shows signs of damage from artillery fire and it was taken by the Germans and recaptured by the US 119th Infantry Regiment, 30th US Division in August 1918. The second is on Abdijmolenstraat and there were originally seven shelters in a row in the field. Today there are two and the best time to see them clearly is winter. These shelters were used by the Australian 4th Division Ammunition officer and the Salvage officer. There was a light railway network which connected with the main Elzenwalle sidings.

Lieutenant Edwin Winwood Robinson, ‘D’ Squadron, 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers, 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division. Killed in action 25 October 1914, age 26. Grave Special Memorial. He was the fifth son of the late Herbert J and Agnes E Robinson, Moor Wood, Cirencester. He was educated at Malvern College and Hertford College, Oxford. He joined the 5th Lancers from the Special Reserve in December 1911 and was promoted to Lieutenant in August 1914. The Squadron was dismounted and being used as infantry and were in billets at Hollebeke Chateau from 23 to 26 October. There is no mention of casualties from before the 23 October or after the 26 October. On the 20 October they marched to Berthen at the foot of the Mont des Cats to relieve the 16th Lancers and then went forward to Hollebeke where they entrenched and were relieved by the 129th Baluchis Indian Army Regiment and they went into billets at Hollebeke Chateau.
Location
Voormezele Churchyard is located 4 kilometres south-west of Ieper town centre, on the Ruusschaartstraat, a road leading from the Kemmelseweg (connecting Ieper to Kemmel N331). From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort), and straight on towards Armentieres (N365). 900 metres after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg (made prominent by a railway level crossing). Turn right onto the Kemmelseweg and follow this road to the first crossroads, turn left here into Ruusschaartstraat. The church and churchyard are located 1 kilometre along the Ruusschaartstraat on the left hand side of the road in Voormezele Dorp.
Burials
UK – 1




Comments