top of page
  • Admin

No Man's Cottage Cemetery

Updated: Jan 1


For most of the First World War, the east side of the village of Boesinghe (now Boezinge) directly faced the German front line. No Man's Cot Cemetery was named from a building on the south side of Admiral's Road, a little more than halfway from Boesinghe to Wieltje. It was used from the end of July 1917 to March 1918. There is one Falkirk and District man buried here.


Cemetery Location

The cemetery is located to the North-East of the town of Ieper. From the station turn left and drive along M.Fochlaan to the roundabout, turn right and go to the next roundabout. Here turn left into M.Haiglaan and drive to the traffic lights. Here turn right onto the dual carriageway direction Poelkapelle/A19. Carry on for about 1km over the river and you will see a sign for New Irish Farm Cemetery. Turn left here into Briekestraat, past New Irish Farm Cemetery to the crossroads. Straight over into Moortelweg, follow to the 2nd crossroads and turn left. The cemetery is approximately 400 metres along on the left hand side.

Linesman

The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.


First use of Phosgene Gas

On the 19 December 1915, the Germans attacked the trenches held here by the 1/6th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment, 146th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division. They used phosgene gas for the first time with so much gas being released that it left crystals on the ground. The line was held but with 1,069 casualties, 120 of whom died.


Gas casualties 19 December 1916

The 1/4th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, 147th Brigade. 49th (West Riding) Division, held the line here in the winter of 1916/17. On the 19 December 1916, they were ordered to withdraw from the front-line as the artillery were going to lay down a barrage on the German lines, the distance between both front-lines being close at this point in the line. As the British withdrew they came under a gas attack from the Germans. This resulted in a large number of casualties many of whom are buried here.


Son of MP Buried Here


51st (Highland Division attack on the opening day of Third Ypres

The Division attack on 31 July 1917 opened at 3.50am with 206 drums of burning oil fired from mortars on the German support and reserve lines. The barrage also included 150 shells filled with thermite fired at Fort Caledonia in the German reserve line. The 5th Seaforth Highlanders were one of the leading Battalions. The War Diary:






FALKIRK AND DISTRICT MEN BURIED HERE


Larbert

292760 Pte Thomas Gardner

7th Battalion, Black Watch

31.7.17

A.40

Husband of Marion Jane


Burials

No Man's Cot Cemetery contains 79 First World War burials. More than half of the graves are of officers and men of the 51st (Highland) Division who attacked through the position on 31 July 1917.


UK - 79

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page