top of page
  • Admin

British: Wimbledon Bunker

Updated: Apr 1, 2023

Built by the engineers of 8th Division and sheltering in the slope of the rising ground it is located some one hundred yards from the New Zealand Memorial on Gravenstafel ridge.

Authors image

It is marked on a map from September 1917 as are the three German bunkers in the field opposite, they are no longer there.

Linesman map showing the location of the Wimbledon bunker

It was built as a headquarters bunker as part of the Gravenstafel defence line in February 1918. Of concrete construction with corrugated iron interior and with the exterior sandbags still clearly visible it would also have had a buster layer on top to provide additional protection.

Authors image

Authors image

23 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page