top of page
  • Admin

British: Lettenberg Shelters

Updated: Apr 1, 2023

Dug into the western bank of the Lettenberg, which is north-east of Mont Kemmel, today Kemmelberg, are these four British concrete shelters, some with tunnelled chambers into the hill.

Authors image

They were constructed in May 1917 by 175 Tunnelling Company and were to be used as a Brigade headquarters by IX Corps, this Corps had responsibility for the capture of Wytschaete and the central area on Messines Ridge. The Germans captured this area in April 1918, using one of the shelters as an Aid Post, they painted a red cross on the outside which can still be seen.

Linesman Map showing the location of the Lettenberg Shelters

Authors images


18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page