top of page
  • Admin

British: Lankhof Farm (sometimes called Langhof)

Updated: Apr 1, 2023

This is a group of seven bunkers built on an island that was formerly surrounded by a moat.

Authors image

They date from 1917/18 and came to prominence when the 47th (London) Division sited artillery here for the Messines ridge offensive in June 1917. The 23rd Division also used the bunkers for the defence of Hill 60 during the German spring offensive in 1918.


At the end of the Passchendaele offensive 153 Field Company R.E. built a railway siding here for the delivery of engineering materials which were to be used in the construction of shell proof accommodation on the site. This work was undertaken by the 4th Field Company Australian Engineers.

Linesman map showing the railway siding at Lankhof Farm

The British withdrew from the area following the German Spring offensive with the new front line located at Bedford House. Despite repeated attempts to retake Lankhof Farm the Germans held the site until September 1918 when it was taken by the American 30th Division and later that month the British cleared the area as part of their advance to victory.

Linesman map dated 13 July 1918 showing Lankhof Farm in German hands.

The bunkers are in very good condition despite the fighting that took place. They can be viewed from the road and on very, very rare occasions the farmer allows access to the bunkers.

Authors image

31 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page