top of page
  • Admin

LA CLYTTE MILITARY CEMETERY


The first burial in the cemetery took place on the 1st November 1914, and between that date and April 1918, Plots I, II and III and part of Plot IV were filled. The hamlet of La Clytte was used as Brigade Headquarters, and the burials were carried out by Infantry, Artillery and Engineer units (out of 600, 250 are those of Artillery personnel and 66 are those of Engineers).


The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.


Cemetery Location

La Clytte Military Cemetery is located 8 Kms west of Ieper town centre on the N304 Klijtseweg, a road leading from the N375 Dikkebuseweg, connecting Ieper to Dikkebus, Klijte and on to Loker. From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375) is located via Elverdingsestraat, straight over a roundabout onto J.Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along M.Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. 7 Kms along the Dikkebusseweg lies the village of De Klijte (formerly La Clytte) and the right hand turning at the roundabout just before the village leads onto the N304 Reningelststraat. The cemetery lies 100 metres after this right hand turning on the left-hand side of the road.


In the church in the village of De Klijte there are murals to the French who fell in the fighting on the Scherpenberg in 1918.


Cemeteries concentrated here

After the Armistice Plots V and VI were formed by the concentration of isolated graves and small graveyards from the area round Reninghelst, Dickebusch, Locre and Kemmel.


Shot at Dawn


31184 Private Leonard Mitchell, Grave III.A.2 Son of George H. Mitchell, of 74, Rawmarsh Rd., Rotherham, Yorks. His brother, William Henry also died on service.

8th Battalion, York and Lancasters, 70th Brigade, 23rd Division. He was under a suspended sentence of death for desertion when he deserted again. He was executed in the village on 19 September 1917.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Комментарии


Комментарии отключены.
bottom of page