top of page
  • Admin

HYDE PARK CORNER (ROYAL BERKS) CEMETERY


Hyde Park Corner was a road junction to the north of Ploegsteert Wood. Hill 63 was to the north-west and nearby were the 'Catacombs', deep shelters capable of holding two battalions, which were used from November 1916 onwards. The cemetery was begun in April 1915 by the 1st/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment and was used at intervals until November 1917. It contains 83 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war graves.


The cemetery, cemetery extension and memorial were designed by H. Chalton Bradshaw.


Cemetery Location

Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery is located 12.5 km south of Ieper town centre, on the Rijselseweg (N365), a road connecting Ieper to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. The cemetery lies 12.5 km along the N365 after passing through the settlements of Wijtschate and Mesen. The cemetery is located on the left hand side of the road and opposite the prominent Ploegsteert Memorial.


Shot at Dawn


There is one man buried here who was shot at dawn.


5009 Rifleman Samuel McBride, Grave A.17. 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles, 74th Brigade, 25th Division. He had was already under a two year sentence of hard labour for previously going absent. He was executed for desertion at Hope Farm near Prowse Point Cemetery on 7 December 1916. He is buried next to the entrance of Hyde Park cemetery.

20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page