top of page
  • Admin

DUHALLOW ADVANCED DRESSING STATION (A.D.S.) CEMETERY


Duhallow Advanced Dressing Station, believed to have been named after a southern Irish hunt, was a medical post 1.6 kilometres north of Ypres (now Ieper). The Cemetery was begun in July 1917, on the day of the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, and Plots I and IV were completed by November 1918. The graves of October and November 1918, are due to deaths in the 11th, 36th and 44th Casualty Clearing Stations. Of the 875 burials in the original Plots, 215 are those of Artillery officers and men and 77 those of Engineers. In Plot II, Row F, are buried 41 men of the 13th Company, Labour Corps, who were killed on the 9th January 1918 when a German aircraft dropped a bomb on an ammunition truck.


The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.


Cemeteries Concentrated here

After the Armistice, 633 bodies (of which 228 were not identified) were brought into this Cemetery from isolated graves and small Cemeteries on the battlefields North, East, and South of Ypres, including MALAKOFF FARM CEMETERY, Brielen, and FUSILIER WOOD CEMETERY, Hollebeke. Malakoff Farm Cemetery contained 33 British Graves (13 of which were those of men of the 1st/4th York and Lancaster Regt.) dating from April 1915 to July 1917. Fusilier Wood Cemetery (near the "Fusilier dug-out") contained 66 British graves and 1 Australian, dating from September 1917 to January 1918. Both these cemeteries were severely shelled in later fighting, and Duhallow A.D.S. Cemetery contains memorials to 10 soldiers buried at Malakoff Farm, and 29 buried at Fusilier Wood, whose graves were thus destroyed. Another memorial has been erected to a soldier of the Loyal North Lancashire Regt. who is believed to be buried in one of the graves marked as unknown.


Cemetery Location

The Cemetery is located on the Diksmuidseweg, N369 road, in the direction of Boezinge. From Ieper station turn left into M.Fochlaan and go to the roundabout, turn right and go to the next roundabout. Here turn left and drive to the next roundabout, where you should turn right into Oude Veurnestraat. Take the second turning on the left which is the Diksmuidseweg. The cemetery is on the right-hand side of the road just past the first turning on the right.


Private Allan Jobson, RAMC, writing in his excellent book Via Ypres, Story of the 39th Divisional Field Ambulance, describes Duhallow when under construction:


‘Work on the new A.D.S. Duhallow at Canal Bank, so named after the famous South Irish Hunt, commenced at the latter end of 1916, the material having to be fetched from Ypres. Squads worked on this night and day and a very fine Dressing Station was the result. A series of concrete dug-outs providing wards for various kinds of cases that were almost bomb proof.’


Shot at Dawn


10603 Private John Seymour, Grave III.F.10 2nd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 96th Brigade, 32nd Division. He was already under a suspended sentence of death when he was executed for desertion on 24 January 1918

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page