top of page
  • Admin

Kandahar Farm Cemetery

Updated: May 23


Kandahar Farm Cemetery, Ypres Salient, Falkirk District
Kandahar Farm Cemetery. Authors image

Kandahar Farm was near the village of Wulverghem (now Wulvergem) and for much of the war, the front line ran a little east of the village. The cemetery was used by Commonwealth Divisions holding this sector from November 1914 to April 1918, when it fell into German hands with the capture of Wulverghem and Neuve-Eglise (now Nieuwkerke). The two villages were recovered in early September and the cemetery was used again. Many of the British buried here were from the 14th (Light) Division.


The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.


(Picture of Kandahar Farm ADS)


Army doctor Henry Owens spent some time at Kandahar Farm in 1918. Owens was an ‘Old Contemptible’ and one of the first to arrive in France in 1914. In 1918 his job was to attend to the medical needs of the 19th Division Royal Engineers and other supporting troops. On the 2nd April 1918, he records in his diary: ‘Divisional HQ moved to Westhoff Farm. Behind Neuve Eglise. 82nd Field Company at Fort Victoria near Lindenhoek, 81st at Wulverghem, 94th at Moroka Camp on the Wulverghem – Neuve Eglise Road near La Hutte. The Division is holding a front of about 3000 yards in front of Messines. Our Brigade, plus 6 Companies from the other 2 Brigades are in the line. The 57th Field Ambulance are clearing the line. Advanced Dressing Station at Kandahar Farm at Wulverghem – rather a long way back. Smalley and Humphries there. Quite a good place. Defended to a certain extent and accommodation for about 30 stretchers and bunks for 60.’

Kandahar Farm Cemetery, Ypres Salient, Falkirk District
View of Kandahar Farm today. Authors image

Cemetery Location

Kandahar Farm Cemetery is located 14 km south of Ieper town centre on the Niewkerkestraat (N314), a road leading from the N365 connecting Ieper to Wijtschate, Mesen and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto the Mesenstraat (N314), which carries on to Nieuwkerke, via the village of Wulvergem. The cemetery lies 1 km after passing through the village of Wulvergem, on the left-hand side of Nieuwkerkestraat. (Linesman Map)


FALKIRK AND DISTRICT MEN BURIED HERE


Links to Falkirk

Kandahar Farm Cemetery, Ypres Salient, Falkirk District
Authors image

14050 Pte Alexander Baird

2nd Battalion, Canterbury Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force

Age 38

6.5.17

I.D.20

Son of Alexander & Jane Baird, Falkirk


Burials

There are now 443 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery.


UK – 211

Australian – 186

New Zealand – 33

Canadian – 6

Know unto God – 7

German – 3



There is a Special Memorial to one Australian soldier whose grave has been lost.

32 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comentarios


Los comentarios se han desactivado.
bottom of page