top of page
  • Admin

Dickebusch New Military Cemetery Extension


The New Military Cemetery was begun in February 1915 (in succession to the Old Military Cemetery near the Church) and was used until May 1917 by neighbouring fighting units and field ambulances. The 31st (Alberta) Canadian Infantry Battalion erected a memorial in it to 22 of their numbers who fell in April 1916. A few further burials took place in March and April 1918. The Extension was used from May 1917 to January 1918.

The two cemeteries are treated, so far as possible, as one. The Cross is placed in the Extension, opposite the entrance, and the War Stone by the roadside in the New Military Cemetery.


The site was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.


Cemetery Location

From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375), is reached via Elverdingsestraat, straight over a roundabout onto J. Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along M. Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. On reaching the village of Dikkebus, the cemetery is located on the Kerkstraat, which is a small street turning left off the Dikkebusseweg. 200 metres along this street, and just beyond the village church, lies the cemetery.

(Linesman map)


FALKIRK AND DISTRICT MEN BURIED HERE


Denny and Dunipace


7303 Rifleman P McAteer

2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

5.8.17

IV.A.5


Of the men buried here 260 were from artillery units. 'C' Battery, 2nd City of Edinburgh Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, were resting nearby in 1917 when a shell landed in the middle of the unit as they fed their horses. Nine men were killed, many wounded and the Battery ceased to exist.


Burials

The Extension contains 548 including 5 unidentified.

UK - 520

Australian - 24

Canadian - 2

South African - 1

German - 1

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page